Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum
Top posting users this month

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Just a quick hello from a newbie.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just a quick hello from a newbie.

Post  Paula Carlson on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:40 am

Hello, all. Just checking in as a new member to say hi and tell you a bit about me. I enjoy fishing in general, but haven't done a whole lot since my father passed away in 2002. Just getting back into it to teach my youngest the fundamentals and enjoy some of the same experiences with him as I did with my daddy. I've been checking out the local holes for crappie and the like, but not much has been turning up. I was severely disappointed when my husband and I took our 5 year old to Lake Rim Sunday and saw every bit of what I never want to see going on at such a place, (i.e. Kids chasing ducks and throwing rocks at them, and into the water where we were trying to fish. Parents letting their children run screaming up and down the docks, letting them throw beer boxes and chip bags into the lake.) It was horrible. And not one nibble the entire time. A shame since this lake is the closest to me. Anyway, after resolving to either not return there, or maybe get a group together to clean it up and stock it some, I am happy enough to cast a line out at Glenville or even off of a bridge on 301 right now. lol Just anywhere I can enjoy, and teach the little one some. Would -love- to get some nice crappie slabs though, I cannot lie. Wink
Paula Carlson
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Re: Just a quick hello from a newbie.

Post  BenB on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am

Welcome Paula! Glad to have you.
BenB
Deckhand

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Bryant-Amateur-Bass-Angler/357

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Welcome to the site Paula , glad to have you and your family with Us . I think it is great that you want your kids to learn to fish as you did. That is what we are all about, spreading the word about this sport we love and introducing new people to the sport.
Lake Rim is a mess and it is a shame since it is one of our only public access fishing areas in the county. We are having a clean up of the lake on 9 June at 830 meeting at the boat ramp. here is a link to the event page for this http://www.facebook.com/events/207273389381079/
Also here is a site with pictures of our last three clean ups of the lake.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/104252842961885/
and here
http://lakerimcleanup.blogspot.com/

once again welcome to the club.

Eddie
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Thanks!

Post  Paula Carlson on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Thank you to you both and we will be out there to help at Lake Rim. Glad you guys organized the cleanup. My daddy used to take me fishing there many moons ago, and it was disheartening to see it looking like that. I'll be there to help.
Paula Carlson
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Hello Paula, and welcome. Rhodes Pond on 301 outside of Godwin has nice crappie but it is a feast or famine place. May catch a bunch or none at all there.

I understand about lake rim. I won't take my kids there. It is very sad. Has loads of potential.
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Carlson on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks! I was looking at Rhodes for a possible new venue, but I don't have a boat. Yet. Wink Do they have some decent banks out there for hiking around or maybe a dock to toss from?
Paula Carlson
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Lots of bank to fish from. A nice dock like at rim. And an observation deck with a fence around the dam. Lots of opportunities to fish. I've caught lots of fish from there but have gotten skunked just as much.
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Welcome to the fishing hole!
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

http://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down

Post  bpg on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Welcome
bpg
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Welcome aboard, Paula. We're glad that you joined us. I think that you will find that most of us are also frustrated with the conditions at Lake Rim which contrary to popular belief the lake area itself is not a park but a fishing access area which are supposed to be used for fishing and boating recreation only. I digress. Because we are concerned, we began organizing clean up days ans have installed Monofilament recycling bins near the piers. We hope that you will join us in our future clean ups and efforts to return the area to its intended purpose.
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Carlson on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:00 am

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, I saw the receptacles at the lake. Excellent work there and you can definitely count on me for the next cleanup. Problem is just as you describe though, that people associate that part with the park and treat it like a playground, or worse a place to toss garbage. Maybe we can do a class on proper fishing etiquette for parents/kids and advertise it there on a bulletin or something of the like? Just tossing around ideas that might make people realize 'Oh this is a FISHING area..' lol
Paula Carlson
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  fishgent on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Paula - welcome to the site and our group. As you can tell from some of the other replies, we care about fishing, teaching others, conservation and taking care of our environment. If you ever have questions, just post them and someone will reply. hope to see you and your family at one of the upcoming events. Next Saturday is the Surf Fishing event at the Pechmann Center. Just contact Tom Carpenter if you are interested. Also check out the calendar on the main page to see all the great upcoming events.
fishgent
Deckhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Carlson on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:06 am

Extremely interested in the surf fishing event, and thank you again.
Paula Carlson
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top